Tips for Anti-aging Skin Care
If you don’t already have a serious anti aging skin care regimen, this is the time to start. Here are seven helpful tips to consider:
- Wash your face with lukewarm water, since hot water is more drying. Your goal is to seal in the moisture that’s already on your skin. Choose a non-foaming soapless cleanser, lather once, and rinse off.
- Exfoliate once a week with a grainy scrub. And consider a monthly professional skin exfoliation, which tends to slough off more dead skin than you can on your own. Traditional microdermabrasion removes dead cells form the top layer of the skin with fine crystals.
- Moisturize daily with a cream containing hyaluronic acid, which draws in water. Other good moisturizers contain antioxidants, vitamin E, vitamin C, green tea, or kinetin. Antioxidants are believed to neutralize wrinkle-causing free radicals produced by the sun, smoke, and pollution.
- Be religious about sunscreen. To save time, pick a moisturizer that does double duty. If your moisturizer doesn’t have an SPF, let it absorb completely, then apply sunscreen and let it dry before putting on makeup.
- Apply an anti-aging serum, ointment, or cream at night. The two ingredients most often recommended to improve radiance are alpha hydroxy acids and retinols. It’s difficult to know which one is best for your skin without trying it first. It should have a good concentration of AHA and a low PH, which his important. The best over-the-counter retinols won’t make you feel sunburned or otherwise irritated.
- Other good anti-aging ingredients include copper peptides (amino acids that heal wounds and help photoaging), human growth factors (which may reduce pigmentation), and kinetin (for those who can’t tolerate retinols).
- For brown spots, dermatologists recommend a bleaching cream containing hydroquinone. The newest ingredient is genistein, which is derived from soybeans and has reduced sun damage in laboratory mice who were exposed to UVA, and appears to prevent future brown spots. Don’t be seduced by labels that promise “soy”, you want something that specifically contains genistein.
Using a combination, or all, of the anti aging skin care tips above will significantly improve the look of your skin!