Anti Aging Skin Care Starts With Moisture
Good anti aging skin care and, clearly, a best skin care practice is avoid dry skin: Here are simple cures for dry skin.
While rough, dry skin affects 30%-40% of women yearly, it’s still one of the easiest conditions to correct, according to a cosmetic dermatologist who treats women with this skin ailment daily. Follow these anti aging skin care tips to heal, and soften, parched areas on both your face and body.
Basic skin care facts, one of the skin’s main jobs is to hold in moisture. The epidermis (the outermost layer) produces lipids – oily substances that limit the passage of water in or out of the skin. When dry air strips away the lipid barrier, moisture escapes, causing tiny cracks in the epidermis. These allow allergens and bacteria to penetrate the surface, resulting in irritation, flaking, and (in severe cases) infection.
Understanding What Triggers Basic Dry Skin
- Dry Air – Low humidity levels, cold temperatures, and indoor heating systems can all suck moisture out of the skin.
- Long Hot Showers – Standing under the water for more than 10 minutes can wash away skin-protecting oils. Additionally, soaps that contain cleaning ingredients like sodium lauryl sulfate remove dirt and bacteria, but they also rob your skin of hydration.
- Medications – Certain prescription drugs, such as antihistamines, can also cause dry skin. Topical creams containing retinoids (wrinkle- and acid-fighting vitamin A compounds) can be to blame as well.
- Aging – As you get older, you need to be diligent about following best skin care practices because your oil glands tend to produce fewer lipids, increasing dryness.
Two Skin Care Practices For Your Anti Aging Skin Care Regimen
- Wash with lukewarm water and a mild, gentle cleanser.
- Hydrate at night – Keeping a humidifier next to your bed adds moisture to your environment. Aim for 30%-60% humidity.
For a lifetime of beautiful skin where you’ve tried everything but don’t see improvement, try these best skin care tips and provide a long-term anti aging skin care process that will protect your skin for years to come.
If you have a serious skin care issue, be sure and consult a dermatologist. The severe dryness could be a symptom of a more serious medical condition, like eczema or psoriasis. If so, you may need a prescription steroid cream for the body or a milder formula for the face.