Advice for Oily Skin Care
People with oily skin may not appreciate the shiny nose/forehead and greasy cheeks, but the fact is that the oil is a built-in lubricant that will slow down the effects of aging and help with your oily skin care regimen.
Oily Skin Care Regimen
- Cleansing – In an attempt to dry-up the abundant oil that many people experience, they frequently use harsh, detergent-based soaps and astringents that are alcohol-based. These products can damage the skin over time, and may actually encourage oil glands to produce more oil. Cleansers that are specially formulated for oily skin care include oil-binding liquids or gel cleansers. Cleansing cream, lanolin, and cocoa butter should be avoided.
- Moisturizing – It is possible that by not using harsh cleansers, there is no need for a moisturizer. But if you feel you COULD use a moisturizer, be sure to find one that contains humectants (ingredients that attract and hold water), such as glycerin and sodium pyrrolidonecarboxylic acid (PCA). This combination of ingredients trap water in your skin without producing a greasy shine. Also, use a moisturizing lotion rather than cream, because they are lighter and contain less oil, so they won’t clog the pores.
- Cosmetics – Oil-free and water-based foundations are preferred because they won’t add extra oil to the skin. Some products actually soak-up excess oil. They are termed oil-blotting foundations and powders. Blusher should be a powder rather than a cream.
- Protection From The Sun – All skin types need to be protected from the damaging rays of the sun, but people with oily skin may want to opt for oil-free sunscreen. There is no added oil, which may cause breakouts.
DO use a specially formulated cleansing gel or oil-binding liquid cleanser
- DO use lotions, rather than creams, to cleanse the skin
- DO protect your face/neck/chest form the sun by using oil-free sunscreens
- DON’T attempt to counteract the skin’s oil by using a harsh cleanser or astringent
- DON'T use oil-based makeup
If you follow this oily skin care regimen, your skin will look fantastic and the effects of aging will be even more slowed down!