Skin Care Tips for Menopausal Women
It is a fact of life that skin will become rough and thin, as well as wrinkled, with age. However, throw menopause changes in with age and the process of your skin changing is accelerated. It should be noted, however, that women who are going through menopause don’t need to be facing a skin care nightmare.
How Menopause Affects Your Skin
When going through menopause changes, many women may experience problems such as:
Their skin becoming drier and an increase in facial wrinkles.
- Skin is more prone to lose some of its elasticity, which makes it become more fragile and it will appear to be looser due to the fact the production of collagen is reduced.
- The skin appears paler as the lack of estrogen reduces the number of blood vessels within the skin.
The areas that are especially vulnerable to reduced amounts of circulating estrogen are the genital area, face, and lower limbs. This is why certain skin conditions that involve these areas are more common in peri- and post-menopausal women.
Help Your Skin Fight Back Against Menopause
The above may sound like a lot to deal with on top of the other symptoms that are associated with menopause changes but by using natural skin care products and practices you will help to soften, smooth, and hydrate your skin. Also, you will even be able to build collagen up within your skin with the right skin care regimen. So what exactly constitutes a good skin care regimen during the menopause?
Products, Diet and Exercise for Skincare
There are many ways in which you can go about taking care of your skin during menopause including products, diet and exercise, and your overall health.
Where your overall health is concerned:
- Aim to get around twenty or thirty minutes of exercise through a specific activity everyday.
- By doing this, you will improve your circulation, which will go on to improve the tone of your skin due to the fact that extra oxygen and blood is being supplied to it.
For you to get the most benefit out of oxygen, however, you should team it with a good diet.
- One way to improve your skin through dieting during menopause is to add oil to it.
- By consuming products such as coconut, flaxseed, or fish oils, you would be able to help combat the natural drying process of the skin that so commonly occurs during menopause.
- Also, to help avoid facial wrinkles, you should keep your skin moisturized by using products that have natural high quality oils, such as Emu oil.
Staying on the subject of products to help your skin during menopause:
- You should always use a good quality moisturizer.
- A good quality moisturizer is one that is gentle and contains natural anti aging skin care products, which will help to protect your skin as well as revitalize it.
- Look for moisturizers that have added antioxidants and vitamins that can help rejuvenate the natural plumpness and elasticity of your skin.
Moisturizer, however, isn’t the only product that constitutes a good skin routine when going through menopause. Sunscreen provides a crucial step in any serious skin rejuvenation regimen. Look for one that has approximately 3%-5% of micro-sized zinc oxide. This will help block the suns rays in order to reduce the risk of wrinkles and age spots.
Your (Last!) Chance to Combat Wrinkles
Whatever your age, you should effectively be taking care of your skin. When going through menopause changes, this becomes highly important as it is your best chance of combating aging skin and facial wrinkles. Just remember you need to treat your skin on the inside as well as the outside so make sure you change your diet and start exercising on a regular basis as well as using appropriate products.
Be sure to check out our resident skincare expert, Dr. Teri Dourmashkin's advice. Her article 3 Hot Anti-Aging Skin Care Ingredients: Do They Measure Up to Their Hype? is a must-read!