Fat Loss Tips for Women Over 40
August 10, 2012|
Who isn’t looking for easy ways to lose an inch or two? The thing is, it’s the small things that make big differences. And these small changes can make dealing with menopausal symptoms much easier to handle.
It’s easier to incorporate one small change a week for several weeks than to make sweeping changes all at once. By allowing yourself time to adjust, you’ll feel less deprived and controlled, and more in control of your journey through menopause. I tell my clients that this journey is a marathon and not a sprint.
29 Ways to Manage Menopausal Symptoms
Here are things that I do and many of my clients have found helpful:
- Drink a glass of water when you get up.
- Add a tablespoon of psyllium to water at about 4 pm to curb your appetite and increase dietary fiber.
- No white bread! Maybe on a special ‘cheat meal’.
- Any bread eaten should be heavy, full grain. My fav? Silver Hills Squirrelly Bread.
- Eat your starchy carbs earlier in the day, the evening meal should be mostly veggies and protein.
- Eat as much fish as possible (learn to cook more fish dishes!).
- Eat egg whites, most of the muscle repairing protein is in the white.
If you want to limit fat, reduce the egg yolks you eat. The cholesterol in the egg yolk is off set somewhat by the eating the egg white with it, so reduce the number of straight egg yolks you consume.
- Eat berries, berries, berries – all kinds, my favorite fruit.
- Kiss a Greek for making low fat, high protein Greek yogurt.
- Eat walnuts in Greek yogurt.
- Limit caffeine consumption. I have coffee ONLY before I workout.
- Include a little protein with every meal and snack.
- Go easy on the artificial sweeteners, like none if possible.
- Cut out or limit diet pop/soda.
- Ask for what you want in a restaurant, servers are there to serve you so even if you pay a little extra, it’s worth it to get a healthier meal.
- Be aware of situations that are triggers to over eating and guard against them, make a plan to conquer!
- Enjoy a guilt free ‘cheat meal’ once a week.
- If you’re gonna have chocolate, have the best! Admission: I have a small amount of chocolate almost everyday. The key is the quantity. Note I said ‘small’.
- Always stop eating BEFORE you feel full, wait 10 minutes and eat more only if you’re still hungry.
- Drink more water.
- Don’t drink calories such as juice.
- If you’re boozing it up, go for mixed drinks with no calorie mix like club soda and lime. My fav? Gin or vodka, soda, a splash of cranberry juice and lime.
- Chase every alcohol drink with water.
- Did I mention drink more water? My dietitian says that you expend up to 10 calories peeing: if I pee 10 times a day, that’s an easy 100 calories burned!
- Limit late night snacking to protein and veggie choices. This limits your choices and sometimes it’s just easier to go to bed!
- Don’t have junk food in the house.
- If you do have junk food, make sure it’s wrapped up, sealed or in a place that everyone can see you sneaking some.
- Tell your friends and family you’re eating a nutritionally dense diet to support your health and their support is invaluable.
- Enjoy food, be mindful when you eat rather than multi-task and eat while distracted so you don’t even notice that you’re eating.
There you have it: 29 killer points that you can start to incorporate slowly so that over time you’ll improve your eating and manage those menopausal symptoms better.