Glossary of Terms – Specialist (Hair Restoration)
|Hair Restoration Surgery – Outpatient Surgery|
|Description:||Surgical procedure in which hair is removed from a donor site, sectioned into micrografts and transplanted into a balding or thinning area on the scalp. Micrografts are most common; other grafting techniques include flaps, tissue expansion, and scalp reduction.|
|Average Cost:||$3-$10 per individual hair graft, or $2,500-$10,000-plus per complete series of treatments.|
|Length of Surgery:||1 Hour or more, depending on size of transplant area.|
|Anesthesia:||Local or general, depending on technique used.|
|Recovery Time:||Resume normal activities in 2-3 days. Avoid vigorous exercise for 3 weeks.|
|Treatment Frequency:||Several (months apart), depending on size of transplant area|
|Risks:||Dfferences in transplanted hair texture and density,scalp numbness, infection, bleeding, wide scars, complications related to anesthesia. Surgery may have to be repeated if grafts don’t take.|
|Duration of Results:||Permanent|
|Inside Tips:||Five Questions You Should Ask:
1. What is your experience with hair restoration?
2. What techniques do you perform and how often?
3. How many treatments will I require to achieve my results? How long will the process take.
4. What type of recovery will I require? What will be my appearance during this time?
5. What type of anesthesia will be used? Who will administer it? Is the facilty where I will have my procedure accredited?