Hair Care Remedies For Curly Hair
Just as the type of skin you have requires different care, the type of hair you have also requires special care. There are 4 types of hair – processed, curly, wavy, and straight. Today, we’ll talk about hair care remedies for curly hair.
Characteristics of Curly Hair
Curly hair is nearly always dry hair. This, combined with the fact that light reflects better from straight surfaces than from curved ones, means that girls with curls often long for the sleek, shiny hair that they feel they will never have.
Curls also have a tendency to tangle and this can result in breaking and splitting. As your hair is already quite fragile, a considerable amount of TLC is crucial if you want to keep this type of hair in the best condition possible.
All of this, however, pales in comparison with the ultimate trauma for curly-haired girls – the dreaded frizz. All it needs is a tiny bit of moisture in the air for your sleek curls to turn into tangled webs. But you don’t need to suffer in silence.
Caring For Curly Hair
This may shock you. If you have curly hair, never, ever, ever wash it every day. It tends to dehydrate the hair and make it more frizzy and unmanageable. Instead, let your hair pick-up some natural oils to help keep it calm and under control.
If you have to wash it to feel cleans, skip shampoo and just rinse with water, then apply conditioner. When you wash, technique is crucial – use moisturizing shampoos and leave-in conditioners to add hydrating ingredients. For the best results, comb through with a wide-toothed comb (the only way you should comb curly hair). Twice-a-month, use an intensive conditioner or hot oil treatment (or try the treatment below). When drying, don’t’ rub your hair with the towel. Instead squeeze the excess water into the towel. Apply an anti-frizz styling cream or serum to the hair while it’s still wet and leave it to dry naturally, or at least use a dryer with a diffuser and only moderate heat. And, never tip the head upside down (you’re asking for frizz).
Hair Care Tips For Curly Hair
- If you find your brush is always tangling in your hair, use one made of boar’s hair bristles, which don’t stick.
- If you don’t want to pay for a boar’s hair brush, just use your fingers – they’re better for curly hair than most brushes.
- If your curls have gone flat overnight, just tip your head upside down and massage the hair near your scalp in a circular motion. This generates volume at the roots and wakes up your look.
- To protect curly hair from further dehydration, always stop blow-drying just before the ends are completely dry. It’s the last few minutes of drying that leads to dehydration and breaking.
- Curly heads often think they can only have long hair to look good. Not true! Layered, short styles that prevent the hair from spilling outward work as well as long, heavy locks.
At Home Hair Treatment for Curly Hair
For a rich moisturizing masque that will add gloss and sheen to curly hair, combine the following ingredients:
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- 10 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
Place the olive oil in a small saucepan and warm it gently (not hot, just heated). Remove from the heat and add the lavender oil. Once you’ve double-checked the temperature, apply the mixture to your hair. Wrap it in a towel to maximize oil penetration and relax for twenty minutes. Wash out the oil with a gentle shampoo (you may need to repeat 2 or 3 times) and condition well.
Hair care remedies differ depending on the type of hair you have. If you have curly hair, the hair care tips listed above will help keep your hair looking its best.