Mariska Hargitay’s 6 Ways to Feel Your Sexiest!
"Sexy is not apologizing for who you are,” says Mariska Hargitay! She says, “it’s the attitude, not the outfit, that makes a woman alluring!”
Mariska is the daughter of Jayne Mansfield! Although very shapely, she never played the “bombshell” roles because she never felt like she could compete with her mother. But, as she got older, she realized that she could be sexy and has shared her celebrity beauty tips with us:
Mariska’s Top 6 Celebrity Beauty Tips
- Own Your Age – “Life begins at 40, and I’m living proof,” says Mariska, who married her husband, actor Peter Hermann, at age 40; then gave birth to her son, August, two years later. “I realized you are who you are and you have to love exactly where you are. To me, the definition of sexy, at any age, is strength and confidence.”
- Dress Up – Like many working moms, Mariska can get into a rut when it comes to her looks. “I definitely have my days where I look like I got dressed in the dark. Sometimes I feel like a machine and life becomes an endless list of things to get done. It’s easy to forget what it feels like to be a woman.” But, the simplest change is often the most powerful. Rather than pulling her hair into a ponytail and throwing on her jeans and T-shirt, she’ll take the time to blow-dry her hair and put on a dress and the difference has the desired effect – I’m told, you look so pretty today!
- Lighten Up – Playing a detective in NYPD’s sex crime unit doesn’t bring a lot of laughs. The real world is different though, “comedy and humor have always been a part of who I am.” So she enjoys spending time with friends, like comedian Ali Wentworth, who makes her smile. Humor is about perspective, and hanging out with people who see life through a similar lens is so important.
- Open Your Heart – Nine years ago, Mariska had her “aha moment.” She was swimming with dolphins during her vacation in Hawaii when, “I literally came out of the water and said out loud, ‘I’m going to start a foundation (The Joyful Heart Foundation) and I’m going to get married!’ I hadn’t even met my future husband yet,” Six months later she was introduced to Peter Hermann on the set of her show. They got married in 2004 and spent the first half of their honeymoon at a Joyful Heart retreat. “Peter knew how important the foundation was to me, so half of our trip was spent talking to rape survivors and counselors. “That’s when I knew I’d married the right guy.”
- Physical Exercise – “A daily exercise program has always been a big part of my life,” says Mariska. “Since I was three feet tall my dad had me doing gymnastics in my living room, and I practically grew up in the swimming pool. It’s really shaped who I am today.” Mariska still loves the water, “In the summer when I’m not working, I swim in the ocean every day. The rest of the time I work with a trainer on toning up. But really it’s the little things I do that add up. I take the stairs when I can. When I’m standing around on set, I try to remember to hold in my belly and tuck in my hips, which strengthens my core. And I live in New York, so I’m always walking around the city.”
- Eat More Greens – “It’s all about green veggies for me,” who began following the Clean Program six months ago. This detoxifying diet focuses on raw, steamed, or sautéed greens, such as kale and spinach, served as side dishes to organic chicken, lamb, or wild-caught fish. Mariska’s favorite recipe is the green juice she drinks every morning. “I get out my vitamixer and blend kale, spinach, celery, green apple, and cucumber, along with some ginger and lemon juice. I believe you are what you eat, and those pure vitamins and minerals make me feel so strong.” As an added benefit, she kicked the sugar habit. “Sweets are a killer for me. I’m totally addicted to chocolate, but since starting the Clean Program, I don’t crave it. And after just three days off sugar, I look like a different person. My skin has cleared up and I feel so healthy and vibrant.”
Oh yeah, Mariska loves dancing to these songs – “Start Me Up” by the Rolling Stones; “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz; “Empire State of Mind” by Jay-Z featuring Alicia Keys; “Thriller” by Michael Jackson; and “Out of Our Heads” by Sheryl Crow.