How To Create the Perfect Smokey Eye
Learn how to apply your smokey eye makeup from celebrity makeup artist and the man behind Skinn Cosmetics, Dimitri James. Using his makeup tips will help you create the perfect look for your next night out on the town.
The Perfect Smokey Eye
With its emphasis on sexy, sultry eyes and nude, kissable lips, it is no wonder the Smokey Eye has been a hit in make-up trends season after season.
In reference to this fall’s hot new looks, Dimitri James, celebrity make-up artist and creator of Skinn Cosmetics, says “The question I’m asked most often by my clients is, ‘how can I create an updated version of that gorgeous Smokey Eye?’” James continues, “Creating that fall-friendly look requires changing up the colors…so get creative!” James is a believer that each style can be tweaked to fit current trends and the Smokey Eye is no different.
Here is a step-by-step guide to help create this fabulous, and seemingly effortless, look:
1. Begin by using your favorite eye shadow base. Using a base helps to hide uneven skin tones, fill in lines, prevent creasing, and protect the delicate eye tissue.
2. Use an eye pencil in a dark shade to rim the entire eye. Then blend as if it were eye shadow. Next, apply a thick line over the top of the eyelid and blend. Smudge the liner over the eyelid with a brush or with fingertips.
3. For the fresh and current spin on the Smokey Eye, skip the shiny silver and black shadows and try a muted mauve and a gray matte black shade. Apply the muted violet shadow over entire lid and up into your natural crease and apply the carbon in the outer corner and bottom half of the lower lash line. Take your time in blending the colors.
4. Finish by lining the inner tear rim with the same dark liner you began with and apply a healthy coat of mascara in black. Apply multiple layers of mascara for added drama.
5. Remember, when you are creating an intense eye look, play down your lips. This heavy eye is complimented best with a natural, light color or a nude gloss of your choice.
Many thanks to Dimitri James, celebrity makeup artist and the man behind Skinn Cosmetics, for providing us with these excellent tips for creating a smokey eye. I can’t wait to try them out!