Did you know today is Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day? And as it turns out, popping bubble wrap is a top rated stress reliever! All those years of popping bubble wrap as a kid is actually an effective stress management technique. Learn some fun facts about Bubble Wrap® and see the results to their “Pop” Poll gauging the stress levels of Americans.
Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day
As part of Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day, Sealed Air Corporation conducted the first-ever Bubble Wrap Brand “Pop” poll stress survey. From the survey, we discovered some surprising stress-relieving benefits from popping Bubble Wrap – just over one minute of popping bubble wrap proves stress relief equal to a 33 minute massage!
Sealed Air Corporation conducted the Bubble Wrap® “Pop” Poll to gauge the current stress level of Americans. From the survey, we discovered that 77 percent of Americans are more stressed or as stressed today than they were one year ago. Below, please find a breakdown of findings from the “Pop” poll stress survey.
A Breakdown Of The Stress That Is Making Americans “Pop”
Money Still Has Americans on the Bubble
- The need for eternal stress relief is so strong that 69% of workers would be quick to take a pay cut to ensure that they’d never be stressed on the job again.
- 36% of these people would reduce their salaries by 20% or more to have less stress.
- 65% of the nation’s workers who have ever been stressed often feel this way about work.
- More male than female workers (72% vs. 66%) are open to a salary reduction for eternal stress relief at the office.
- 69% of Americans confess that finances are stressing them out right now, with more women than men (71% vs. 66%) and more 18-49-year-olds than those 50+ (74% vs. 60%) owning up to this fact.
Can Money Buy You Happiness?
- 71% can place a dollar value on being stress-free, as they’re able to name some amount of money that they’d need to have in the bank in order to feel stress-free.
- 35% of these people would need a million dollars or more to feel stress-free.
- 35% of Americans said they would only need less than one million dollars in the bank to feel stress-free.
“Pop” Out Those Knots
- Surveyed results reveal that just over one minute of popping Bubble Wrap® provides stress relief equivalent to a 33 minute massage.
The United States of Stress
- 50% of Americans believe that a lottery win is more likely in their lifetimes than being stress-free forever.
- 32% believe that our national debt being cleared in ten years is more likely than a life without stress; 31% believe healthcare coverage for all Americans in five years is more likely.
Stress Hits Home
- 38% of Americans would rather they never encounter an ounce of stress again than win a new home worth 100 million dollars.
- 77% of Americans say they are as stressed or more stressed now than one year ago and 71% say they are as stressed or more stressed now than five years ago.
- Younger people in the 18-49 age group are more likely than their elders to be instantly stressed out about events like a fight with close friends (62% vs. 51%), missing a flight (56% vs. 47%), a hotel losing a reservation (42% vs. 34%) or even lacking change for a parking meter (31% vs. 14%).
- 81% of Americans admit that running late to an important event or meeting would stress them out. 47% of these folks would only have to be five minutes behind or less to feel this way.
Technology Adding More Stress
- Americans are more dependent on technology than ever and a majority of the nation (66%) would stress when their computers crash.
- Technology takes two of the top three spots on a list of things that could spike up American’s stress levels and six of the top 15.
Blue Is Better!
- 43% of said the country says that the most relaxing or soothing color is Blue.
A “Pop” A Day Keeps The Stress Away
- Recent Bubble Wrap® poppers are less likely to be stressed out by unpredictable events when traveling, such as missing a flight (52% vs. 59%) or hotels losing their reservation (39% vs. 43%).
- Bubble Wrap®-popping Americans who have done this in the last seven days are less stressed about their health than those without as much recent Bubble Wrap® experience (34% vs. 40%).
- 39% of people say that it’s a quick action, not a lengthy activity that has a better shot at easing their stress.
- More men than women (44% vs. 35%) agree that a brief activity is a better stress reliever than something that requires more time.
America Needs Some “Pop” Relief
- 36% of Northeasterners are likely to feel stressed more than 10 times in an average month, while 26% of the rest of the nation owns up to this frequency. This makes the Northeast region the most frequently stressed and most often to have spikes in stress in America.
- Over half (53%) of Southerners admit they’re more stressed now than they were a year ago, compared to 48% of those in other regions.
- More Americans in the West than the rest of the country admit they’re stressed about politics (29% vs. 20%) and their love lives (24% vs. 18%) right now.
Don’t Pop Alone, Try A Famous Friend!
- 26% of Americans say they’d most enjoy popping Bubble Wrap® with Ellen DeGeneres with Will Farrell coming in second with 18% of the vote. Taylor Swift (14%), Kelly Ripa (12%) and Neil Patrick Harris (8%) round out the top five celebrities Americans want to pop Bubble Wrap® with.
Fun Facts on Bubble Bubble Wrap®
The originally intended use for Bubble Wrap® was entirely different than how it is used today. Inventors Marc Chavannes and Al Fielding originally developed a plastic they hoped to market as textured wallpaper. When that idea did not take off, the inventors began to have some success marketing the product as a greenhouse insulator.
Chavannes then realized that Bubble Wrap® brand cushioning could be used as an improvement from paper and old newspapers for cushioning fragile items. Once the opportunity was identified, the inventors worked hard on the manufacturing process for Bubble Wrap® cushioning in an effort to create an ideal packaging material. After a lot of tinkering, they developed a special, proprietary barrier protection which prevented air from leaking and resulted in the crisp “Pop” that Bubble Wrap® is famous for.
About Sealed Air
Sealed Air is the new global leader in food safety and security, facility hygiene and product protection. With widely recognized and inventive brands such as Bubble Wrap® brand cushioning, Cryovac® brand food packaging solutions and Diversey® brand cleaning and hygiene solutions, Sealed Air offers efficient and sustainable solutions that create business value for customers, enhance the quality of life for consumers and provide a cleaner and healthier environment for future generations. On a pro forma basis, Sealed Air generated revenue of $7.6 billion in 2010 and has approximately 26,000 employees who serve customers in 175 countries. To learn more, visit www.sealedair.com.