Super Food: Turkey with Blueberry Pan Sauce
Blueberries – Berries (of all kinds) are rich in vital nutrients, yet low in calories. They are sweet, yet a low-glycemic food. They are excellent sources of potassium, pure water, water-soluble fibers, and flavonoids, which serve as protection against environment stress.
Berries alter the body’s reaction to allergens, viruses, and carcinogens. They are also a good source of the anti-cancer compound ellagic acid. Blueberries contain a long list of phytonutrients, which function both as antioxidants and as anti-inflammatory compounds in the body.
Turkey with Blueberry Pan Sauce
Yield / Serves: 4
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1-teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1-pound turkey tenderloin
- 2-tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots (about 2 medium)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Sprinkle salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary and poultry seasoning over turkey on both sides. Brush both sides with 1-tablespoon olive oil. Place turkey in a roasting pan. Roast until the turkey is just cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the turkey to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
3. Place the skillet over medium heat. Add 1-tablespoon olive oil. Add shallots and garlic cook, stirring constantly, until the shallots begin to brown, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add blueberries and vinegar. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally and scraping up any brown bits, until the blueberries burst and release their juice and the mixture becomes thick and syrupy, 4 to 5 minutes. Slice the turkey and serve with the blueberry pan sauce.
© 2011 Savor Culinary Services
Thanks to Deb Cantrell, Senior Certified Personal Chef (CPC) and Owner of Savor Culinary Services http://www.thesavorchef.com for this Super Food recipe perfect for the Thanksgiving Holiday!
For more Super Food Recipes, be sure to see our Super Food series.