Super Food: Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes
Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes Recipe
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, well shaken
- 2 tablespoons honey, preferably buckwheat
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- In a mixing bowl, combine the two kinds of flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and let it cool slightly. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, honey, egg, and melted butter. Add this to the flour mixture and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- In a skillet or on a griddle over medium heat, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter. Drop approximately ¼ cup of batter onto the griddle to make each pancake. When the thick bubbles pop on the non-griddle side and the pancake is browned, flip and brown the other side. Serve with maple syrup.
Thanks to Melissa Graham, Purple Asparagus, Chicago, IL for this recipe and information on the health benefits of blueberries! Check out Melissa’s recipe and more in “A White House Garden Cookbook” by Clara Silverstein.