Valentine Meringue Cookies
If eating healthy food is important to you, even on a holiday, then try these low-calorie, fat free cookies.
For best results, separate the eggs while cold, make sure not a speck of yolk contaminates them, and leave the whites for 20 minutes or so before beating them. Make sure the whisks and bowl are entirely clean and free from grease before use.
This recipe comes to us from About.com – Low Fat Cooking
3 Egg Whites
1/4 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
3/4 Cup Superfine Sugar
Red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 225º. Line a large rimmed baking tray with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue beating egg whites until the soft peak stage.
- Gradually add sugar, a tablespoon or two at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix until all the sugar has been added and the egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- Add a few drops of red food coloring and stir to make the egg whites pink.
- Drop by the tablespoon onto the parchment-lined baking sheet, or, with the help of a small heart-shaped cookie cutter, make heart shape meringues — spoon the meringue inside the cookie cutter, and push down with the spoon as you lift the cookie cutter, then repeat for each cookie.
- Bake for 1 hour. Switch off oven, add red sprinkles, and leave in the oven for 2-3 hours
Makes about 24-30 cookies
Per cookie: Calories 26, Calories from Fat 0, Total Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 8mg, Carbohydrate 6.2g, Fiber 0g, Protein 0.4g