The following recipes are a perfect accompaniment to yesterday’s St. Patty’s Day main dish, Guinness Scented Lamb Stew.
This St. Patrick’s Day, discover a more authentic take on Irish fare. You can achieve a true taste of Ireland with these recipes inspired by classic dishes from the Emerald Isle – no green food coloring or shamrocks needed!
· 1 ¾ cups whiskey
· 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
· 1 can whipping cream
· 1 cup egg substitute (the equivalent of 3 eggs)
· 2 tablespoons chocolate flavored syrup
· 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
· 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
· ½ teaspoon almond extract
Combine all ingredients in blender; blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
Cover tightly and refrigerate 24 hours to mix flavors. Stir before serving.
Potato Rosemary Rolls
· 2 ¾ to 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
· 1 envelope yeast, rapid rise
· 1 tablespoon sugar
· 2 teaspoons Spice Islands® Onion, Minced
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Rosemary
· ¾ cup milk
· ½ cup instant potato flakes or buds
· ½ cup water
· 2 tablespoons olive oil, pure
· 1 egg, lightly beaten
To make dough: Combine 1 ½ cups flour, yeast, sugar, onion, salt and rosemary in a large bowl. Heat milk, potato flakes, water and oil until very warm (120° – 130°F). Stir into dry ingredients. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4 to 6 minutes. Cover; let rise 10 minutes.
Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each piece into 12-inch rope; tie a loose knot in the center of each rope. Place rolls 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover. Let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 20 to 40 minutes.
Brush tops of rolls with egg. If desired, sprinkle with sesame seed, poppy seed or rosemary. Bake at 375° for 15 to 20 minutes or until done. Remove from baking sheet; cool on wire rack.
Many thanks to the lads over at Spice Island for providing us with these delicious and authentic Irish recipes that will help us celebrate!